Archive for June, 2010

Rain, Spit Offs and more rain

Wednesday, June 16th, 2010

Now that we are into winter proper, and given the incessant rain over the last few weeks, we have now cancelled all scheduled spit-offs – those girls we are still unsure of (as regards pregnancy status) will now be given an audio scan approximately 7 weeks after mating to see if they are pregnant or not. If not- we will hold these girls over until late spring before remating.
Because of the excessive rain, and now cold, our alpaca have been very appreciative of their hay feed. Because we have covered feeding sheds in nearly every paddock, they can free-feed right through the day – and no-one misses out. We have found this a very successful method of feeding hay as not only do the alpacas like dry hay available all the time, but it reduces the time spent feeding out, as we can often put out several days feed at a time and know the rain will not spoil it.