Posts Tagged ‘alpaca’


Wednesday, September 1st, 2010

Officially, the first day of Spring! Which was heralded, overnight, with torrential rain – in a winter characterised by high rainfall, this was the heaviest of the lot. However, along with the dawn, came sunshine, and it has been a beautiful day, even if wet underfoot.

Some of our girls have found the weather conditions very trying, particularly those with cria at foot. We discovered a local farm supplies retailer who was selling bright blue calf covers made out of heavy duty vinyl – and the medium siz one fit our average size adult alpaca very well ! These are designed to slip over the head and are secured by a soft elastic strap around the haunches – so they don’t interfere with feeding cria. After a few minutes intial panic, our girls settled into wearing the cover, which by keeping out the wind and rain, helped them keep warm, too. Some of our younger cria got to wear the small size calf cover, we have found them a great boon.

Wet Winter Woes

Sunday, August 29th, 2010

What a quiet winter it has been. We have suffered almost non-stop rain since mid-May, and our only news has been, more rain = more mud! Our poor alpacas have had wet ground underfoot for weeks, with little grass growth. Just as well we have lots of hay to feed out!
The last couple of weeks have seen the return of the sun, interspersed with rainy days, but at least everything is starting to dry out.
Liz and I plan to go to the NZ National Show and Expo in early October, so now will be desperately trying to prepare our show team – we plan to take about 7, with a couple of Intermediates (over 1 year) ,and the rest Juniors (last years cria). Most are now starting to walk on a halter, but one young boy has only just been weaned, and wore a halter for the first time today. With all the rain we have had, their fleeces are not in good condition, we can only hope the weather contiues to improve now it is Spring, and that they will be presentable on Show Day!

Rain, Spit Offs and more rain

Wednesday, June 16th, 2010

Now that we are into winter proper, and given the incessant rain over the last few weeks, we have now cancelled all scheduled spit-offs – those girls we are still unsure of (as regards pregnancy status) will now be given an audio scan approximately 7 weeks after mating to see if they are pregnant or not. If not- we will hold these girls over until late spring before remating.
Because of the excessive rain, and now cold, our alpaca have been very appreciative of their hay feed. Because we have covered feeding sheds in nearly every paddock, they can free-feed right through the day – and no-one misses out. We have found this a very successful method of feeding hay as not only do the alpacas like dry hay available all the time, but it reduces the time spent feeding out, as we can often put out several days feed at a time and know the rain will not spoil it.